School of Communication Foundations
School of Communication Foundations (SCF)
Starts - To be Determined
The SCF is one of YWAM’s University of the Nations (UofN) core courses, making it a stepping stone for further UofN classes. It includes 12 weeks of lectures, group discussions, reading and writing assignments, group and individual projects, role-playing and public presentations.
The SCF lays a solid foundation in Biblical communication, advancing your skills, confidence, and application in writing, speaking, listening, and giving and receiving feedback. It aims to sharpen your ability to communicate through cross-cultural and interpersonal dynamics. It equips you with principles of preparing and delivering a message to a variety of audiences. Through provoking instruction and discussion, video evaluation, written and practical assignments. You will discover your potential and place as an effective influencer in the public forum.
The SCF seeks to develop your oral and written communication skills. While exploring what it means to be fully present and alive, and discovering more about who God made you to be as a communicator. You will be able to take these skills into the private, public and professional world.
The school will challenge you, get you out of your comfort zone, teach you how to face your fears, and learn to be truly humble. You will gain a deepening of what it means to walk in Biblical fellowship as a local body of believers; integrating head, heart, and Spirit. The SCF takes a holistic approach to what it means to be a Biblical communicator, applying a deeper understanding of God, self, and others.
- Public speaking: Preparing, delivering and evaluating a message; speech work and techniques
- Interpersonal communication: Conflict resolution, assumptions, and relational matters
- Cross-cultural communication: Nonverbal communication and understanding of cultural codes and dynamics
- Research writing: Writing a paper on either unreached peoples or marginal members of society
- Intrapersonal communication: Working from the inside-out: discovering the heart of the issue
- Basic writing and composition: developing writing skills and tools
- Biblical worldview: The spheres of society
- Communication trends: Creating awareness of current trends in communication
- Discipling the nations: Biblical principles for clear communication
What skills will you learn?
- Public speaking: from writing it down to delivering it clearly, and capturing your audience
- Writing: basic writing and grammar skills, research techniques, book reviews
- Non-verbal: what you are telling people through your body language
- Verbal: how your tone of voice effects what you're communicating
- Listening: how to really listen to people and read between the lines through their non-verbals
Costs: (including room and board) are €2050, plus a one-time non-refundable application fee of €50.
The school will be only in English. Prerequisite for participation is a completed Discipleship Training School.