Notes on the History of the Hurlach castle
The castle of Hurlach was presumably built around 1610 by the Fugger Family. It has had a large variety of owners over the course of its history. The main characteristics of the highly visible building are its stepped gables and the four octagonal corner towers with their spherical spires topped by gilded orbs.
Among the many lords of Hurlach, the chamberlain of the electoral prince played an especially important role. Sebastian von Pemler (1718-1772) recorded many details of everyday life of the rural gentry of his time in his meticulously kept diary.
From 1898 to 1899 the castle was thoroughly renovated by Otto Freiherr von Schnurbein. In the following years many additional structures were raised, transforming the castle into its current shape: the annexe and the rear buildings, lavishly decorated with wrought-iron frets in the art nouveau style, the arcades and the pinnacle tower above the passageway set strong architectural accents.
After the Second World War the castle was first used as a fugitive shelter and subsequently transformed into an orphanage. Since 1972 the castle has been used as a training center by the interdenominational missionary organization Youth with a Mission, which renovated the face of the castle in 1991.